The Gospel of Foot Fashion
Feet are unusually wonderful appendages. Most men would rather cover them up and women love to paint their nails and display them. They are more neglected then the hands, but as essential in everyday life. Every step with a soar toe is felt throughout the body. Her are some interesting facts about feet.
- Did you know that your foot contains 26 bones, 33 joints, more than 100 tendons, muscles, and ligaments, and a whopping 250,000 sweat glands?
- All babies are born with a pad of fat where an arch would normally be in an adult foot, which makes them appear flat and cutely chubby
- Extra toes and fingers are technically known as polydactylism, and the condition is reported in about 1-2 of every 1,000 children,
- In the United States, the best-selling shoe size is 8.5 for women and 10.5 for men. Those are both up a full size from 30 years ago
- Study author Geoffrey Beattie, PhD, found that men tend to move their feet more when they're nervous, while jittery women keep their feet still.
- Yes, feet can get stinky. But it's no wonder, since each one contains about 250,000 sweat glands. While the sweat itself doesn't smell, socks and shoes can trap odor-causing bacteria, which thrive in dark, damp environments. (http://www.everydayhealth.com/foot-health-pictures/funky-feet-facts.aspx)
In the Old Testament the feet with the greatest honor were those who brought good news. When a battle was won the captain would send a messenger to run with the good news of the victory. It was not just an honor; the runner was often rewarded. This is what Isaiah 52 says,
How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace, who brings good news of happiness, who publishes salvation, who says to Zion, “Your God reigns.”
The Apostle Paul quotes this verse in Romans when he asks who will preach the gospel, how beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news.
When we engage in the spiritual battle that threatens to wreak havoc in our families and in he church, we need to know the message we carry. The world is full of hate and animosity. We don't need to contribute to the carnage. Instead our feet bring the good news that there can be peace with God and one another. The gospel of peace is liberating to the oppressed, uplifting to the down cast, and hope for the despairing. Yet, it is offensive to the hateful, intolerant, and ungodly.
Every Christian is to put on shoes that carry the good news. They are not apparel for the talented, gifted, pastor, or evangelist. Each of us has a pair in the closet. They come in different sizes, style, and effectiveness, but they are all called to the same purpose. Paul admonishes us,
"All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself."
We are the us. We wear the shoes. We are the messengers who carry the good news of God to a lost world. We are the vanguard of peace. How beautiful are your feet today. I'm just saying..
Ephesians 6:15 "and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace."